Re: 2.6.30-rc2 soft lockups: ACPI? clock source problem?

From: Dave Hansen
Date: Wed May 06 2009 - 00:58:36 EST

On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 12:10 -0700, john stultz wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-04-23 at 11:31 -0700, Dave Hansen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 20:45 -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > > (Is jstultz@xxxxxxxxxx correct?)

> > > Did it ever happen again?
> >
> > I've seen it on three different boots, but the stack traces were a bit
> > different each time. So, I assume it is a true timekeeping thing
> > instead of something *actually* locking up.
> >
> > > I assume this is a post-2.6.29 regression? (Yet another. We've been
> > > extra bad this time)
> >
> > This laptop has been quite good to me and I haven't rebooted since the
> > late 2.6.28 days. It isn't anything special, though. Just a Lenovo
> > T61. I wonder if my .config is a bit different.
>
> I've got a T61 at home, so I'll try to test it out. Dave, can you send
> me your .config? Also any chance you can bisect this down a tiny bit?

OK, so I got back to this. It's actually fixed in -rc4! I assume it
was something in the ACPI merge that happened after -rc3.

I did check that the clocksource was set as the hpet in all cases both
before and after I saw the cpu lockup warning and on the good versions
of the kernel.

I can still go back and bisect it if anyone thinks that would be
valuable.

-- Dave