Re: CFS not suitable for desktop computers

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Mon May 04 2009 - 17:01:48 EST

Nico Schümann wrote:
Thank you Ray Lee and Mike Galbraith for your responses, I ran the script and attached its gathered information.

Mike Galbraith wrote:
How hard is hard? Can you describe the loads you're having trouble
with, and the hardware you're running them on?

I could reproduce "hard" load by just compiling the linux kernel, make -j3 while reading mails with Thunderbird, which is not that hard foreground load. Thunderbird starts reacting really slowly while compiling.

I wonder if this could be related to I/O rather than the task scheduler proper.

Chris