Re: CFS not suitable for desktop computers

From: Nico SchÃmann
Date: Mon May 04 2009 - 11:16:52 EST

Thank you Ray Lee and Mike Galbraith for your responses, I ran the script and attached its gathered information.

Mike Galbraith wrote:
How hard is hard? Can you describe the loads you're having trouble
with, and the hardware you're running them on?

I could reproduce "hard" load by just compiling the linux kernel, make -j3 while reading mails with Thunderbird, which is not that hard foreground load. Thunderbird starts reacting really slowly while compiling.

My system has a 1,3 GHz AMD Athlon CPU (32 bits) and 1 GB of RAM. Now you will say: That is not very much. Of course it is not, but with the old scheduler, the system felt way faster, so it seemed to be enough for compiling and reading mails.
I hope you can find useful information in the attached log, I enabled SCHED_DEBUG and SCHEDSTATS, if you need any more information, just ask me, I will try to answer.

And thank you all for your help,

Nico SchÃmann