Does a built-in initrd image fall under the kernel license?

From: Sven Berkvens-Matthijsse
Date: Mon May 04 2009 - 08:57:59 EST

Hello,

I have a simple question: if I build a Linux kernel and I embed an initrd/initramfs cpio.gz image directly into the kernel, do the contents of the initrd image fall under the rules of the kernel's GPL license? I.e., do I need to release the source code of the contents if I distribute the resulting kernel?

Please CC me in any replies, I am not subscribed to this mailing list.

Thank you for your time,
Sven Berkvens-Matthijsse
sven@xxxxxxxxx