Re: Probe Timeouts with 47afbaf5af9454a7a1a64591e20cbfcc27ca67a8

From: Parag Warudkar
Date: Fri May 01 2009 - 09:19:21 EST

On 5/1/09, Johannes Berg <johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm not sure what makes you think that it even _should_ be reverted.
> Just to make that clear: it should _not_ be reverted. How did you check
> that it isn't reverted in compat-wireless anyway? Must have been by code
> inspection since if you had made an attempt to verify that the code in
> there works, you would have found that indeed there's no reason to
> revert this commit since the fix for it went in, and is literally a
> single line.

Well I have the 04-29 compat-wireless tree and it does not work - just
like mainline I get timeouts. I have not been able to download later
versions - clicking on the URL does nothing for some reason. (Besides
I do not normally track compat-wireless.)

So since I wasn't able to use the mainline for 2-3 days and I could
not find any regression/bug where it was mentioned the bug was fixed
in compat-wireless I thought it might be better to revert it until a
fix appears. (BTW, I just did a pull on Linus tree and the fix hasn't
made it there).

So unless I am being too unreasonable here I think reverting *was*
(not *is* of course now) the right thing to do based if nothing else,
on the fact that ath9k and iwlagn were unusable for 2+ days and not
everyone can be expected to run compat-wireless daily builds.

Any way now that we know there is a fix - I will wait for it to appear
in mainline.

Parag