Re: [patch 20/22] vmscan: avoid multiplication overflow inshrink_zone()

From: Wu Fengguang
Date: Fri May 01 2009 - 02:29:50 EST

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 10:49:07AM +0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 1 May 2009 09:22:12 +0800 Wu Fengguang <fengguang.wu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 06:08:55AM +0800, Andrew Morton wrote:
> > >
> > > Local variable `scan' can overflow on zones which are larger than
> > >
> > > (2G * 4k) / 100 = 80GB.
> > >
> > > Making it 64-bit on 64-bit will fix that up.
> >
> > A side note about the "one HUGE scan inside shrink_zone":
> >
> > Isn't this low level scan granularity way tooooo large?
> >
> > It makes things a lot worse on memory pressure:
> > - the over reclaim, somehow workarounded by Rik's early bail out patch
> > - the throttle_vm_writeout()/congestion_wait() guards could work in a
> > very sparse manner and hence is useless: imagine to stop and wait
> > after shooting away every 1GB memory.
> >
> > The long term fix could be to move the granularity control up to the
> > shrink_zones() level: there it can bail out early without hurting the
> > balanced zone aging.
> >

> I guess it could be bad in some circumstances. Normally we'll bail out
> way early because (nr_reclaimed > swap_cluster_max) comes true. If it
> _doesn't_ come true, we have little choice but to keep scanning.

Right. The main concern to the proposed granularity-control-lifting
could be the trickiness of scan code - the transition won't be easy.

> The code is mystifying:
>
> : for_each_evictable_lru(l) {
> : int file = is_file_lru(l);
> : unsigned long scan;
> :
> : scan = zone_nr_pages(zone, sc, l);
> : if (priority) {
> : scan >>= priority;
> : scan = (scan * percent[file]) / 100;
> : }
> : if (scanning_global_lru(sc)) {
> : zone->lru[l].nr_scan += scan;
>
> Here we increase zone->lru[l].nr_scan by (say) 1000000.
>
> : nr[l] = zone->lru[l].nr_scan;
>
> locally save away the number of pages to scan
>
> : if (nr[l] >= swap_cluster_max)
> : zone->lru[l].nr_scan = 0;
>
> err, wot? This makes no sense at all afacit.
>
> : else
> : nr[l] = 0;
>
> ok, this is doing some batching I think.

Yes it's batching. So that smallish <32 scans can be delayed and batched.
I was lost too (twice! First time in 2006 and once more in 2009), so
we'd better add a simple comment to remind this fact 8-)

> : } else
> : nr[l] = scan;
>
> so we didn't update the zone's nr_scan at all here. But we display
> nr_scan in /proc/zoneinfo as "scanned". So we're filing to inform
> userspace about scanning on this zone which is due to memcgroup
> constraints. I think.

$ grep scanned /proc/zoneinfo
scanned 0 (aa: 0 ia: 0 af: 0 if: 0)
scanned 0 (aa: 0 ia: 0 af: 0 if: 0)
scanned 0 (aa: 0 ia: 0 af: 0 if: 0)

They are all dynamic values. The first field shows pages scanned since
last reclaim - so a large value indicates we have trouble reclaiming
enough pages. The following 4 fields are the useless nr_scan[]s: they
never exceed SWAP_CLUSTER_MAX=32, and typically is 0 for large lists.

> : }
> :
> : while (nr[LRU_INACTIVE_ANON] || nr[LRU_ACTIVE_FILE] ||
> : nr[LRU_INACTIVE_FILE]) {
> : for_each_evictable_lru(l) {
> : if (nr[l]) {
> : nr_to_scan = min(nr[l], swap_cluster_max);
> : nr[l] -= nr_to_scan;
> :
> : nr_reclaimed += shrink_list(l, nr_to_scan,
> : zone, sc, priority);
> : }
> : }
> : /*
> : * On large memory systems, scan >> priority can become
> : * really large. This is fine for the starting priority;
> : * we want to put equal scanning pressure on each zone.
> : * However, if the VM has a harder time of freeing pages,
> : * with multiple processes reclaiming pages, the total
> : * freeing target can get unreasonably large.
> : */
> : if (nr_reclaimed > swap_cluster_max &&
> : priority < DEF_PRIORITY && !current_is_kswapd())
> : break;
>
> here we bale out after scanning 32 pages, without updating ->nr_scan.

This is fine. Because (nr_reclaimed > swap_cluster_max) implies
(nr_scan = 0). You know nr_scan is not regular accounting numbers ;-)

> : }
>

> What on earth does zone->lru[l].nr_scan mean after wending through all
> this stuff?
>
> afacit this will muck up /proc/zoneinfo, but nothing else.

Exactly. nr_scan[] are not accounting numbers and means nothing to user.
They shall either be removed from /proc/zoneinfo, or be replaced with
meaningful _accumulated_ scan numbers.

Thanks,
Fengguang