Re: No NCQ support on X61s Ultrabay? (Intel ICH8 SATA controllerquestion)

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Fri May 01 2009 - 00:21:48 EST

Theodore Tso wrote:
On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 07:51:28PM -0600, Robert Hancock wrote:
Thinking about this a bit more, I'll bet the problem is the BIOS
setting is only affecting the primary SATA ports (which are being
grabed by ahci) and not the SATA port in the Ultrabay slot (which is
being picked up by either the ata_piix or piix driver). Sigh...
dmesg and lspci -vv output might be useful..

Here you go...

I'm suspecting that that Ultrabay slot might be using the PATA ports on the chipset, with a PATA-SATA bridge chip or something. I haven't seen an Intel chipset with some SATA ports using AHCI and some in PIIX mode before, the ones I've seen with both had the PIIX mode driving PATA ports. If it is indeed bridged through PATA on that laptop, there's no way you're going to get any NCQ support on that slot.

I don't know why Lenovo would do that, as it would kind of cripple SATA drives in that slot, but hardware people do some bizarre things sometimes..