Re: Idea: Feature information / extensions dispatcher syscall.

From: Alan Cox
Date: Wed Apr 22 2009 - 11:12:05 EST

> But in some cases syscalls are more convenient than reading/writing/ioctling
> in /proc, /sys or /dev.

A syscall and an ioctl are the same thing except that you need a file
handle for one of them.

> And I suggest to regulate syscalls usage and reserve a set of numbers
> "home" modules used in some organizations only.

We have file system naming so you can open device or sysfs and the like
files to do that job. That avoids the problem of trying to keep numbering
sane.

Alan

--
"Alan, I'm getting a bit worried about you."
-- Linus Torvalds