Re: arch/x86/Kconfig selects invalid HAVE_READQ, HAVE_WRITEQ vars

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 17:12:18 EST

> Do you really expect driver authors to type writeq_nonatomic() for
> every register reference?

No -- that's why I didn't even bring it up at first and why I consider
it ugly.

> I think an #include at the top is one thing, but something that
> heavyweight for each call site really isn't going to fly.

Yeah, I guess that could work, although I do worry that debugging the
wrong choice of #include might be a pain (mysterious symptoms on 32-bit
architectures caused by the name of an include file would be hard to
track).

To be honest I think the status quo ante was not really that bad.

- R.