Re: Wait for console to become available, v3.2

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Tue Apr 21 2009 - 09:35:32 EST

On Tue, 21 Apr 2009 08:43:46 +0200
Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The proper approach would be to use one of the async_synchronize*()
> facilities in kernel/async.c to properly order the opening of the
> console with device init.

Unfortunately this is not the answer.

First of all, USB does not use the async_* infrastructure, so it does
not do anything.
But more importantly... USB *CANNOT* do this fundamental operation.
USB does not have the capability to know when you have seen all devices
that are connected. Devices just show up a random amount of time after
you turn the power on for the bus.... there's no "and now we've seen
all" operation.

visit http://www.lesswatts.org