Re: Quick question about libata and hdparm

From: Mark Lord
Date: Sun Apr 19 2009 - 08:34:14 EST

RogÃrio Brito wrote:
Dear people,

I have one small question regarding the libata drivers and the interaction with hdparm.

I am presently using PATA/IDE devices only, but some distributions provide kernels with libata by default (and some defconfigs also use libata even for IDE devices).

Using the usual IDE drivers, I can use/query various parameters with hdparm, like, for instance, the -m option, the -c option or even disabling DMA. With the libata drivers, this is all that I get:
..
Am I doing something incorrectly? I would like at least to understand what is happening and, if possible, to fine-tune some settings.
..

Nearly all of the hdparm flags work fine with libata and SATA/PATA drives.
Among the *very few* that do not, are the -m and -d flags. -c will be working
in the newest kernels, but not yet in most distro kernels.

The -d flag is not permitted by libata, as the kernel prefers to completely
dictate DMA / PIO, and it does do a rather good job of it.

The -m flag could be done, and I even have code in hdparm to do it,
but libata is very buggy with multi-sector I/O, so -m is currently is disallowed.

Cheers