Quick question about libata and hdparm

From: Rogério Brito
Date: Sat Apr 18 2009 - 23:34:09 EST

Dear people,

I have one small question regarding the libata drivers and the interaction with hdparm.

I am presently using PATA/IDE devices only, but some distributions provide kernels with libata by default (and some defconfigs also use libata even for IDE devices).

Using the usual IDE drivers, I can use/query various parameters with hdparm, like, for instance, the -m option, the -c option or even disabling DMA. With the libata drivers, this is all that I get:

lutz:~# hdparm /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
IO_support = 0 (default)
readonly = 0 (off)
readahead = 256 (on)
geometry = 48641/255/63, sectors = 781420655, start = 0
lutz:~# hdparm -c 1 /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
setting 32-bit IO_support flag to 1
HDIO_SET_32BIT failed: Invalid argument
IO_support = 0 (default)
lutz:~# hdparm -m 16 /dev/sda

/dev/sda:
setting multcount to 16
HDIO_SET_MULTCOUNT failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device
lutz:~#

Am I doing something incorrectly? I would like at least to understand what is happening and, if possible, to fine-tune some settings.

If necessary, please let me know and I will provide any further information that may be needed.

Thanks in advance, Rogério Brito.