Re: [patch 2/3] RCU move trace defines to rcupdate_types.h

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Fri Apr 17 2009 - 12:14:40 EST

Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
* Jeremy Fitzhardinge (jeremy@xxxxxxxx) wrote:
Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
Given the simplicity of the preempt_disable/enable_notrace found in
preempt.h, we could move them to

include/preempt_types.h too, and that would solve all problems, wouldn't
it ?
No, it still needs linux/thread_info.h -> asm/thread_info.h, which in turn gets quite a lot of things on x86 (and would need to be audited in each architecture).

Well, I think it's a good time to do some cleanup then. Why on earth
would thread_info.h be anything else than a "_types"-like header ?

Why indeed? Because it includes a number of other headers to get the definitions it needs, and defines various functions needed to operate on the thread_info structure (including the all-important current_thread_info()).

Yes, it can be refactored into thread_info.h and thread_info_types.h, and all the headers it includes can be similarly refactored, and linux/thread_info.h can also be split, and all the asm/*/thread_info.hs can be split too, and it can be made to work for all arches under all configs...

But that's going to take a long time, and if its a pre-requisite for getting tracing going, then we're not going to see it merged this year.

If headers has become in such a state in the kernel, then IMHO the
solution is not to shove more out-of-line functions under the carpet,
but rather to do the cleanup.

Besides, I'm still not convinced that putting the code inline is a good idea. Direct call/return are not inherently expensive, and they're something that CPU vendors have a lot of motivation to optimise for. In particular, the call itself is no more expensive than a jmp other than the return-address push, and the ret is also cheap because it will use the return address cache rather than having to be a full indirect jmp.

And it would be much easier to justify leaving tracing compile-time enabled all the time if each tracepoint really does have a minimal icache profile when not enabled.