Re: [patch 2/3] RCU move trace defines to rcupdate_types.h

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Fri Apr 17 2009 - 01:58:15 EST

Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
* Steven Rostedt (rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
On Thu, 16 Apr 2009, Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:

I don't think this helps. rcupdate_types.h uses preempt_disable/enable, but
doesn't include linux/preempt.h for them - but someone's going to have to, so
you've got an implicit dependency on the user to #include the right headers in
advance.
Would including linux/preempt.h in rcupdate_types.h be a problem?

-- Steve

I did not include preempt.h in rcupdate_types.h because rcupdate.h did
not include it, so I thought it had a special status such a kernel.h.
However, I notice the rcupdate.h includes spinlock.h, which in turn
includes preempt.h, so we would need to include preempt.h in
rcupdate_types.h.

But I think preempt.h is pretty much only type definitions. I don't
think that would be a problem, but maybe Jeremy knows better.

No, preempt.h has fairly complex #include requirements:
#include <linux/thread_info.h>
#include <linux/linkage.h>
#include <linux/list.h>

which in turn include:
/* linux/thread_info */
#include <linux/bitops.h>
#include <asm/thread_info.h>

/* list.h */
#include <linux/stddef.h>
#include <linux/poison.h>
#include <linux/prefetch.h>
#include <asm/system.h>

And from there more complex still:
#include <asm/asm.h>
#include <asm/segment.h>
#include <asm/cpufeature.h>
#include <asm/cmpxchg.h>
#include <asm/nops.h>
#include <linux/kernel.h>
#include <linux/irqflags.h>
#include <asm/page.h>
#include <asm/processor.h>
#include <asm/ftrace.h>
#include <asm/atomic.h>
[...and much more...]

Given that paravirt.h is included in some of those headers, it eventually gets cyclic.