Does the linux kernel contain support for ATA Security feature set?

From: Robert Nicholson
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 19:50:59 EST

So, I've got an X-25M that I want to securely erase and it turns out on a Mac I'm not going to be able to issue the command because it doesn't support legacy IDE mode from what I understand. So the idea of a any boot CD that I could boot and run a program that can issue a SECURE_ERASE (SE) to the drive is only applicable to PC's.

So does the Linux kernel support the ATA security set then? or does it, like OSX have protective measures to stop abuse of those features.