Re: BUG: using rootfstype=ext4 causes oops

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 12:56:16 EST

On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 05:38:36PM +0100, Andrew Price wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:53:57AM -0400, Theodore Tso wrote:
> > OK, can you confirm that you tried using ext4 with either 2.6.29 or
> > 2.6.28, and it was working previously? That would make it a
> > regression which Rafael would track.
>
> I've tested this with a local GFS2 mount (which uses barriers too) and
> the same bug occurs. Apologies for making it seem like an ext4 bug. I'm
> currently waiting for a kernel to build with Bartlomiej's patch so we'll
> see how that goes.

No, no, that's fine. That sort of thing we get all the time; it's
part of trying to find the root cause of the bug. What I was more
interested in was trying to figure out when (at which kernel version)
the bug had introduced; if it's a recent regression then Rafael would
be interested in tracking it as such.

> Further up in that file in the last paragraph of the 'Quick usage
> instructions' it says:
>
> [...]
> '-o barriers=[0|1]' mount option for both ext3 and ext4 filesystems
> [...]

OK, got it. Thanks. I'll queue up a patch to fix that up.

- Ted