how to tell if arbitrary kernel memory address is backed by physicalmemory?

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Thu Apr 16 2009 - 11:38:06 EST

Hi all,

Quick question to the memory management folks.

Is there a portable way to tell whether a particular virtual address in the lowmem address range is backed by physical memory and is readable?

For background...we have some guys working on a software memory scrubber for an embedded board. The memory controller supports ECC but doesn't support scrubbing in hardware. What we want to do is walk all of lowmem, reading in memory. If a fault is encountered, it will be handled by other code.

Thanks,

Chris