Re: [BISECTED] EEE PC hangs when booting off battery

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Tue Apr 14 2009 - 11:15:56 EST

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 08:59:01 -0600
Bjorn Helgaas <bjorn.helgaas@xxxxxx> wrote:

> I can't help with the real problem of why the asynchronous battery
> init causes the hang.

that got fixed already for the module case.

> But I do object to the magic makefile ordering change in that commit.
> Nobody reading the makefile can tell why battery is down at the end,
> and moving it apparently slows down boot significantly.

for all cases I've seen it actually speeds it up, because the battery
now runs concurrently with the disk probe.

> So the
> ordering change just feels like a band-aid that covers up a place
> where ACPI could be improved.

the reason for the move is that both the battery and other pieces take
the big acpi lock; which defeats the parallelism. So the battery needs
to happen at the end instead.

visit http://www.lesswatts.org