Re: [ANNOUNCE] headercheck - check dependencies on header files

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Fri Apr 10 2009 - 08:08:45 EST

* Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We have at several occasions discussed if our header files
> should include their dependencies or not.
>
> But we were lacking a tool to tell us if our header files
> included the headerfiles they needed or not.
>
> headercheck can be used to do so.
>
> headercheck use the existing Kbuild files in
> include/ to determine which directories to visit.
>
> And for each directory it create one .c file for each
> .h file and build it.
>
> A .c file looks like this:
>
> $cat module.h.c
> #include <linux/module.h>
>

> Building this file will tell us if module.h is
> missing any dependencies (but NOT if it has too many) with
> the current configuration.
>
> We know that some header files are simply NOT supposed to be included
> direct and thus is not eligble to such a check.
>
> To avoid checking these we can say in Kbuild:
>
> ignore-y += compiler-gcc.h
>
> This tells headercheck to ignore compiler-gcc.h when performing
> the headercheck.
>
> The current implementation leaves a lot of .c files.
> I will address this if the concept is considered acceptable.
>
> To visit all relevant directories we need to adjust the Kbuild
> files but that can wait until we have the current pile fixed.
> Likewise it does not support arch specific include files.
> That can wait too.
>
> I have tried running headercheck on an i386 defconfig and
> the result shows that a lot af headers does not include there
> dependencies.
>
> The numbers (including sub-directories):
>
> 25 include/asm-generic
> 12 include/drm
> 282 include/linux
> 2 include/mtd
> 24 include/sound
> 12 include/video
>
> Remember we do not visit all directories - only those listed in include/Kbuild.
>
> To try it yourself apply following patch and on a configured kernel use:
>
> make -k headercheck
>
> Looking at the errors I would assume that at least 75% of the errors
> can be fixed in one day but the rest may be a bit more troublesome.
>
> The open question is if this is worthwhile?

Definitely a good idea IMHO. The current practice of 'include enough
.h files in the .c file to make it build' has resulted in perversely
long #include line sections in .c files.

For example arch/x86/kernel/setup.c has 76 headers (!) at the
moment, and you have to go down 4 pages in the file before you see
the first line of substantial code.

Or arch/x86/mm/fault.c had 32 headers - i recently cut that down to
11 only.

Nice would be to have a tool that lists the minimum set of required
headers for any given .c file, for a current .config. If we run that
in allyesconfig we get a pretty good approximation of the headers
needed.

Ingo