Re: Linux 2.6.29

From: JÃrn Engel
Date: Tue Mar 31 2009 - 15:28:01 EST

On Sat, 28 March 2009 21:18:51 -0400, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> Was the BSD soft-updates idea of FS data-before-metadata a good one?
> Yes. Obviously.
>
> It is the cornerstone of every SANE journalling-esque database or
> filesystem out there -- don't leave a window where your metadata is
> inconsistent. "Duh" :)

Your idea of 'consistent' seems a bit fuzzy. Soft updates, afaiu, leave
plenty of windows and reasons to run fsck. They only guarantee that all
those windows result in lost space - data allocations without any
references. It certainly prevents the worst problems, but I would use a
different word for it. :)

JÃrn

--
Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good,
you'll have to ram them down people's throats.