Re: [patch 0/6] Guest page hinting version 7.

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 14:38:24 EST

Dave Hansen wrote:
It also occurs to me that the hypervisor could be doing a lot of this
internally. This whole scheme is about telling the hypervisor about
pages that we (the kernel) know we can regenerate. The hypervisor
should know a lot of that information, too. We ask it to populate a
page with stuff from virtual I/O devices or write a page out to those
devices. The page remains volatile until something from the guest
writes to it. The hypervisor could keep a record of how to recreate the
page as long as it remains volatile and clean.

That potentially pushes a lot of complexity elsewhere. If you have multiple paths to a storage device, or a cluster store shared between multiple machines, then the underlying storage can change making the guest's copies of those blocks unbacked. Obviously the host/hypervisor could deal with that, but it would be a pile of new mechanisms which don't necessarily exist (for example, it would have to be an active participant in a distributed locking scheme for a shared block device rather than just passing it all through to the guest to handle).

That said, people have been looking at tracking block IO to work out when it might be useful to try and share pages between guests under Xen.