Re: [patch 1/3] slub: add per-cache slab thrash ratio

From: Mel Gorman
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 11:54:36 EST

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 10:11:31AM +0300, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-29 at 22:43 -0700, David Rientjes wrote:
> > The slab_thrash_ratio for each cache do not have non-zero defaults
> > (yet?).
>
> If we're going to merge this code, I think it would be better to put a
> non-zero default there; otherwise we won't be able to hit potential
> performance regressions or bugs. Furthermore, the optimization is not
> very useful on large scale if people need to enable it themselves.
>
> Maybe stick 20 there and run tbench, sysbench, et al to see if it makes
> a difference? I'm cc'ing Mel in case he has some suggestions how to test
> it.

netperf and tbench will both pound the sl*b allocator far more than sysbench
will in my opinion although I don't have figures on-hand to back that up. In
the case of netperf, it might be particular obvious if the client is on one
CPU and the server on another because I believe that means all allocs happen
on one CPU and all frees on another.

I have a vague concern that such a tunable needs to exist at all though
and wonder what workloads it can hurt when set to 20 for example versus any
other value.

--
Mel Gorman
Part-time Phd Student Linux Technology Center