Re: Linux 2.6.29

From: Ric Wheeler
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 10:04:32 EST

Mark Lord wrote:
Ric Wheeler wrote:

People keep forgetting that storage (even on your commodity s-ata class of drives) has very large & volatile cache. The disk firmware can hold writes in that cache as long as it wants, reorder its writes into anything that makes sense and has no explicit ordering promises.
..

Hi Ric,

No, we don't forget about those drive caches. But in practice,
for nearly everyone, they don't actually matter.

Here I disagree - nearly everyone has their critical data being manipulated in large data centers on top of Linux servers. We all can routinely suffer when linux crashes and loses data at big sites like google, amazon, hospitals or your local bank.

It definitely does matter in practice, we usually just don't see it first hand :-)

The kernel can crash, and the drives, in practice, will still
flush their caches to media by themselves. Within a second or two.

Even with desktops, I am not positive that the drive write cache survives a kernel crash without data loss. If I remember correctly, Chris's tests used crashes (not power outages) to display the data corruption that happened without barriers being enabled properly.

Sure, there are cases where this might not happen (total power fail),
but those are quite rare for desktop users -- and especially for the
most common variety of desktop user: notebook users (whose machines
have built-in UPSs).

Cheers

Unless of course you push your luck with your battery and run it until really out of power, but in general, I do agree that laptops and notebook users have a reasonably robust built in UPS.

ric