RE: [rfc] x86, bts: fix crash

From: Metzger, Markus T
Date: Mon Mar 30 2009 - 09:57:25 EST

The way I understood you, I should defer the release of the bts tracer.
I can schedule the work in __ptrace_unlink(), so I don't need the changes
that hook into do_exit().
The work will be done at a later time with interrupts enabled.

I'm looking into schedule_work() right now, since I don't need all the other
features of RCU.

>do you mean the helper below will be called under write_lock_irq(tasklist)?
>In that case,
>
>> >This would rid us of the nasty ->ptraced loop.
>> >I will give it a try.
>> >

>> >I use something like this to wait for the context switch:
>> > nvcsw = task->nvcsw + 1;
>> > nivcsw = task->nivcsw + 1;
>> > for (;;) {
>> > if (nvcsw < task->nvcsw)
>> > break;
>> > if (nivcsw < task->nivcsw)
>> > break;
>
>Not exactly right, schedule() increments nvcsw/nivcsw before context_switch().
>But this is fixable.

That's why I added +1. There's still the overflow problem. I now use

nvcsw = task->nvcsw;
for (;;) {
if ((task->nvcsw - nvcsw) > 1)
break;
if (!task_is_running(task))
break;
schedule();
}

this should work even for overflowing counters. It waits for two
context switches, or - preferably - for task to be currently not running
on any cpu (see below for task_is_running()).

>However. What if this task spins in TASK_RUNNING waiting for tasklist_lock ?
>This is deadlockable even with CONFIG_PREEMPT, we take tasklit for reading
>in interrupt context.

That code is executed with interrupts enabled and tasklist lock not held.
That's why I added the ptrace_bts_exit_tracer() and ptrace_bts_exit_tracee()
calls - to be able to call ds_release_bts() with interrupts enabled.

>Afaics, we can also deadlock if task_cpu(task) sends IPI to us (with wait = 1),
>the sender spins with preemption disabled.
>
>> > if (task->state != TASK_RUNNING)
>> > break;
>> > }
>> >

>> That is not quite right, as well. There's a race on the task state.
>> In my example, I got TASK_DEAD before the dying task could complete its
>> final schedule(), and the cpu continued tracing.
>
>But we still have the same problems.
>
>If the tracee doesn't call a blocking syscall, its ->state is always RUNNING.

Agreed.

I meanwhile added a function task_is_running() to sched.h that checks whether
the parameter task is currently running on any cpu.
I use that instead of checking ->state.

The function is essentially:
int task_is_running(struct task_struct *p)
{
struct rq *rq;
unsigned long flags;
int running;

rq = task_rq_lock(p, &flags);
running = task_running(rq, p);
task_rq_unlock(rq, &flags);

return running;
}

thanks and regards,
markus.

Intel GmbH
Dornacher Strasse 1
85622 Feldkirchen/Muenchen Germany
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Douglas Lusk, Peter Gleissner, Hannes Schwaderer
Registergericht: Muenchen HRB 47456 Ust.-IdNr.
VAT Registration No.: DE129385895
Citibank Frankfurt (BLZ 502 109 00) 600119052