Re: fastboot/async and initramfs: How am I supposed to know whendevices are finished initializing?

From: Thomas Bächler
Date: Sun Mar 29 2009 - 12:44:15 EST

Arjan van de Ven schrieb:
Among other things, this loads the ata_piix on my machine. On older kernels I could assume that after these commands, /dev/sda* existed

not if you have CONFIG_SCSI_SCAN_ASYNC set though..

and I could immediately access them (in my case, I run cryptsetup on /dev/sda6). But now, the devices don't exist here, but are only
created a second or so later. As a result, the initramfs script has
already bailed out as it couldn't find /dev/sda6 and assumed that the
hard drive didn't exist.

the CONFIG_SCSI_WAIT_SCAN method (basically loading that module to wait
for the scans to finish) will work for you......

Thanks, I will integrate that into our initramfs. Will that also work for USB mass storage (which was already problematic with older kernels, you load the module you don't know how long it takes until the sdX devices are created)?
Can I load that module before loading the actual SCSI/SATA/PATA driver?