Re: TOMOYO in linux-next

From: Bodo Eggert
Date: Sun Mar 29 2009 - 10:26:18 EST

On Sun, 29 Mar 2009, Pavel Machek wrote:
On Fri 2009-03-27 14:04:32, Bodo Eggert wrote:
On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, Pavel Machek wrote:
On Fri 2009-03-27 10:28:07, Bodo Eggert wrote:
Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:

I don't think merging that is good idea. Security should be doable
without making shell-like glob matching...

How do you suppose a security system should handle mozilla modifying
~/.bashrc differently from downloading something to ~/pr0n.jpg?

How does shell-like glob matching help there? You'd need to parse
/etc/passwd to find all ~ directories...

That is, if you'd use HOME=`dd if=/dev/urandom ...`.

If you have your users in /home/user, you can tell /home/*/.*
is bad, /home/*/[^.]* is OK.

On the common systems I know of, homes are spread over different
volumes and different directories. TOMOYO's wildcards do _not_ solve
this particular problems.

Don't do that then. If you start having user's homes at /usr/local/sbin/something/, your systenm is FUBAR anyway.

Put your homes into /home/volume/group/user (=~ /home/*/*/*/.*).

How would you exclude mozilla from writing to .* then? ".a" is bad,
".b" is bad ...? or "A" is OK, "a" is OK, "zzzzzzzzzzzzz" is OK"?
Either way, you'd need several universes to store the security profile.

What is magic about .* files? I want mozilla to store the pictures as
.naughty.picture.jpg -- I don't see anything wrong with that.

As long as you have a guaranteed-to-be-complete list of config files, you can get along without wildcards. And still if you do, I'll write a program to make it incomplete.