Re: replace() system call needed (was Re: EXT4-ish "fixes" in UBIFS)

From: Artem Bityutskiy
Date: Sun Mar 29 2009 - 09:01:15 EST

Pavel Machek wrote:
2. create/write/rename leads to empty files
..but this should not be. If we want to make that explicit, we should
provide "replace()" operation; where replace is rename that makes sure
that source file is completely on media before commiting the rename.
Well, OK, we can fsync() before rename, we just need clean rules
for this, so that all Linux FSes would follow them. Would be nice
to have final agreement on all this stuff.

My proposal is

rename() stays.

It stays and:

1. does _not_ fsync
2. has synchronous fsync added
3. stays and have asynchronous fsync added?

--
Best Regards,
Artem Bityutskiy (ÐÑÑÑÐ ÐÐÑÑÑÐÐÐ)