Re: [git pull] x86 updates for v2.6.30, final bits

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sat Mar 28 2009 - 21:21:36 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Mar 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > [ The sched.c bit is an odd one out: due to previous cpumask changes
> > it developed a dependency/conflict on the cpumask tree which
> > depended on the x86 tree. Should i have started a separate branch
> > for it? I didnt want to merge the x86 tree into the scheduler
> > tree. We had really excessive dependencies and cross-merges in
> > this cycle around the x86 tree and i very much hope this is an
> > exception
>
> The problem is that you've been hoping for this "exception" for
> the last three kernel releases.
>
> The details differ, but you do seem to mix things up too much. I'm
> not at all happy. I think quality control is slipping, because
> there's this absolutely _humongous_ amount of crap that gets in
> through you. You seem to have a hard time saying "no".
>
> And yes, you boot-test things pretty well, but I really wish you
> had more focus. This "everything under the sun" thing is very
> annoying, and I think you are too damn eager to merge the random
> new feature of the day.
>
> So instead of "hoping", how about you look at making sure it
> really _does_ become an exception. And that really fundamentally
> means that it can't happen every release.
>
> How about trying one release to just say "no" if you start seeing
> all these kinds of things. We don't allow non-x86 architectures to
> just tie things together this way. The fact that you have the same
> tree seems to just encourage badness by making it "easier" to just
> mix things up.

Yes, will do that - sorry about this. We'll also take more care and
will try to cook up more scripting to make sure such crappy-looking
circular criss-cross merges and compound trees dont happen again.

The remaining trees we have for this merge window are all
single-purpose. We sent five of them in the last couple of hours and
they have the kind of structure that we intend to use in the future
too. If you still see _any_ problems with them, please let me know
so i can fix the workflow ASAP.

Ingo