Re: 2.6.29 regression: ATA bus errors on resume

From: Niel Lambrechts
Date: Sat Mar 28 2009 - 06:22:43 EST

On 03/28/2009 12:30 AM, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 21:10:52 +0200
> Niel Lambrechts <niel.lambrechts@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>

>> I'm seeing some dubious looking ATA messages even on 2.6.28.9-pae,
>> although with all the 2.6.28 variants I used s2disk/resume has always
>> worked. I was wondering if these "errors" perhaps play more of a role
>> in 2.6.29, perhaps due to the async. changes that was mentioned?
>>

> unless you actively enabled this via a kernel command line option there
> are no async changes in 2.6.29 in terms of behavior.

The only non-default option I had was 'modeset=1'. From Jeff's earlier
comment I understood the probing behaviour changed.

The fundamental difference is that in 2.6.29 everything initially seems
okay, but then there is a
ata1.00: exception Emask 0x10 SAct 0x3f SErr 0x50000 action0xe frozen
ata1.00: irq_stat 0x00400008, PHY RDY changed

There's nothing frozen it 2.6.28.

Should I log a kernel bug, what's the best way forward and is there
anything more I can do to help?

cheers
Niel