Re: [patch 0/6] Guest page hinting version 7.

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Fri Mar 27 2009 - 20:08:31 EST

Dave Hansen wrote:
On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 16:09 +0100, Martin Schwidefsky wrote:
If the host picks one of the
pages the guest can recreate, the host can throw it away instead of writing
it to the paging device. Simple and elegant.

Heh, simple and elegant for the hypervisor. But I'm not sure I'm going
to call *anything* that requires a new CPU instruction elegant. ;)

I am convinced that it could be done with a guest-writable
"bitmap", with 2 bits per page. That would make this scheme
useful for KVM, too.

I don't see any description of it in there any more, but I thought this
entire patch set was to get rid of the idiotic triple I/Os in the
following scenario:

I don't see that mentioned at all in the current description.
Simplifying the hypervisor is hard to get behind, but cutting system I/O
by 2/3 is a much nicer benefit for 1200 lines of invasive code. ;)

Cutting down on a fair bit of IO is absolutely worth
1200 lines of fairly well isolated code.

Can we persuade the hypervisor to tell us which pages it decided to page
out and just skip those when we're scanning the LRU?

The easiest "notification" points are in the page fault
handler and the page cache lookup code.

--
All rights reversed.