Re: Linux 2.6.29

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Mar 27 2009 - 17:52:00 EST

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> On the other side of the coin, major desktop apps Firefox and Thunderbird
> already use it: Firefox uses sqlite [...]

You do know that Firefox had to _disable_ fsync() exactly because not
disabling it was unacceptable? That whole "why does firefox stop for 5
seconds" thing created too many bug-reports.

> So, arguments about "people should..." aside, existing desktops apps _do_
> fsync and we get to deal with the bad performance :/

No they don't. Read up on it. Really.

Guys, I don't understand why you even argue. I've been complaining about
fsync() performance for the last five years or so. It's taken you a long
time to finally realize, and you still don't seem to "get it".

PEOPLE LITERALLY REMOVE 'fsync()' CALLS BECAUSE THEY ARE UNACCEPTABLE FOR
USERS.

It really is that simple.

Linus