Re: DRM lock ordering fix series

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Fri Mar 27 2009 - 17:04:34 EST

> OK. I'm not too excited here -- 10% of 2% of the CPU time doesn't get
> me to the 10% loss that the slow path added up to. Most of the cost is
> in k{un,}map_atomic of the returned pages. If the gup somehow filled in
> the user's PTEs, I'd be happy and always use that (since then I'd have

On x86 the user PTEs are already there if it's your current process
context so you could just use them. And it's even safe to use as long as its
locked. But that would be a x86 specific hack, not working on all platforms
that have split kernel user address spaces (that includes UML)

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.