Re: 2.6.29 Networking Problems

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Thu Mar 26 2009 - 23:47:45 EST

On Thursday 26 March 2009, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
>Alright, so I upgraded to 2.6.29 and had all sorts of issues with my
>networking (x86-64 system, both forcedeth and 3c59x NICs). At first I
>thought my forcedeth NIC was dying or something, so I disabled it and
>installed a trusty 3com. When it started acting up also, I began to
>suspect software, and some searching led me to the thread (and
>eventually the patch) at:
>
> http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/14465/
>
>So, I applied this patch to my local kernel, and my test (transferring
>13 GiB of data over the LAN) now can be run repeatedly. Prior to
>applying the patch, I'd start the transfer and it'd go for about 20
>seconds and all transfer would stop, and ping would not return errors,
>just nothing.
>
>Any chance that this patch will land in 2.6.29.1? Or other code that
>fixes the same problem? I haven't tried it against Linus' kernel tree
>yet because I probably won't run that kernel again until at least -rc2
>or -rc3, so apologies if this issue is already fixed in the trunk.
>
> --- Mike

I'll second this on 2.6.29. Asus M2N SLI Deluxe mobo, quad core phenom, 4GB
ram.

When I woke up this morning I had no network. Ifconfig said it was up and ok,
but I couldn't even ping my router. So I went to another machine and the
router etc was fine. Restarting the networking did not help. The leds on the
mobo jacks were on so the MCP55's hadn't been killed. A reboot that took a
good piece of an hour cuz it had timed out on 1.5 TB of drives and had to fsck
them, and its been fine since.

>--

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Windows without the X is like making love without a partner.
-- MaDsen Wikholm, mwikholm@xxxxxxxxxx