[ANNOUNCE]: Auto notification of initiators by SCST targets aboutdevices additional/removal or their size changed implemented

From: Vladislav Bolkhovitin
Date: Thu Mar 26 2009 - 15:17:38 EST

Hi All

In the recent commits in SCST SVN repository I added to SCST ability to automatically notify initiators about the following two types of events:

1. Devices addition or removal (REPORTED LUNS DATA CHANGED)

2. If any device changed its size (CAPACITY DATA CHANGED)

Both types of notifications are supported: Asynchronous Events Notifications (AEN) and Unit Attentions. If a target driver supports AENs, they will be used, otherwise, Unit Attentions will be used.

At the moment in Linux only open-iscsi partially understands those events. It can see added devices. But it doesn't process devices removal or size changed events.

I'm going to make development freeze of SCST 1.0.1 tomorrow. Then after few weeks of testing 1.0.1 is going to be released.

SCST is an alternative implementation of SCSI target subsystem for Linux. You can find more information about it on its home page http://scst.sourceforge.net

Vlad