Re: Linux 2.6.29

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Wed Mar 25 2009 - 23:00:20 EST

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 06:34:32PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Of course, the approach of just checking whether the buffer heads already
> exists and are mapped (before bothering with anything else) probably works
> fine in practice. In most loads, pages will have been dirtied by regular
> "write()" system calls, and then we will have the buffers pre-allocated
> regardless.

Yeah, I agree; solving the problem in the case of files being dirtied
via write() is going to solve a much percentage of the cases compared
to those cases where the pages are dirtied via mmap()'ed pages.

I thought we were doing this already, but clearly I should have looked
at the code first. :-(

- Ted