Re: Linux 2.6.29

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Wed Mar 25 2009 - 22:37:41 EST

Matthew Garrett wrote:
I disagree with this approach. If fsync() means anything other than "Get my data on disk and then return" then we're breaking guarantees to applications.

Due to lack of storage dev writeback cache flushing, we are indeed breaking that guarantee in many situations...

The problem is that you're insisting that the only way applications can ensure that their requests occur in order is to use fsync(), which will achieve that but also provides guarantees above and beyond what the majority of applications want.

That remains a true statement... without the *sync* syscalls, you still do not have a _guarantee_ writes occur in a certain order.

Jeff