Re: Linux 2.6.29

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 15:57:39 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:
But I really don't understand filesystem people who think that "fsck" is the important part, regardless of whether the data is valid or not. That's just stupid and _obviously_ bogus.

I think I can understand that point of view, at least:

More customers complain about hours-long fsck times than they do about silent data corruption of non-fsync'd files.

The point is, if you write your metadata earlier (say, every 5 sec) and the real data later (say, every 30 sec), you're actually MORE LIKELY to see corrupt files than if you try to write them together.

And if you write your data _first_, you're never going to see corruption at all.

Amen.

And, personal filesystem pet peeve: please encourage proper FLUSH CACHE use to give users the data guarantees they deserve. Linux's sync(2) and fsync(2) (and fdatasync, etc.) should poke the block layer to guarantee a media write.

Jeff

P.S. Overall, I am thrilled that this ext3/ext4 transition and associated slashdotting has spurred debate over filesystem data guarantees. This is the kind of discussion that has needed to happen for years, IMO.