Re: Network Device Naming mechanism and policy

From: david
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 14:52:28 EST

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009, Dan Williams wrote:

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 17:21 +0100, Patrick McHardy wrote:
Matt Domsch wrote:
2) udev may have rules to change the device names. This is most often
seen in the '70-persistent-net.rules' file. Here we have
additional challenges:

c) udev may not always be able to change a device's name. If udev
uses the kernel assignment namespace (ethN), then a rename of
eth0->eth1 may require renaming eth1->eth0 (or something else).
Udev operates on a single device instance at a time, it becomes
difficult to switch names around for multiple devices, within
the single namespace.

I would classify this as a bug, especially the fact that udev doesn't
undo a failed rename, so you end up with ethX_rename. Virtual devices
using the same MAC address trigger this reliably unless you add
exceptions to the udev rules.

Any particular reason the MAC addresses are the same? This came up a
while ago with the 'dnet' device in the thread "Dave DNET ethernet
controller".

If the MAC address isn't a UUID for the device, then *what* is?

I have seen systems (I think they were Sun boxes) where the _machine_ had a MAC address, and it used that same MAC on all interfaces.

this is convienient for some things, but not for others.

what's unique and reproducable is the discovery order

David Lang