Re: [Openipmi-developer] Improving IPMI performance under load

From: Martin Wilck
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 13:16:06 EST

Matt Domsch wrote:

I still get complaints from users who see their CPU utilization spike
attributed to kipmi0 when userspace throws a lot of requests down to
the controller. I've seen them want to limit kipmi0 even further, not
speed it up.

My first patch ("limit CPU time spent in kipmi") is targeted at exactly those users that you are talking about.

These users make their observations on idle systems. You'll never see kipmid use up CPU under "top" in systems with high CPU load. With the new patch I have in mind, kipmid can be tuned to be faster under load and at the same time use less cycles (at the cost of slightly decreased speed) when idle.

Martin

--
Martin Wilck
PRIMERGY System Software Engineer