Re: Linux 2.6.29

From: Alan Cox
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 11:19:50 EST

> Surely the elevator should have reordered the writes reasonably? (Or
> is that what you meant by "the other one -- #8636 (I assume this is a
> kernel Bugzilla #?) seems to be a bug in the I/O schedulers as it goes
> away if you use a different I/O sched.?")

There are two cases there. One is a bug #8636 (kernel bugzilla) which is
where things like dump show awful performance with certain I/O scheduler
settings. That seems to be totally not connected to the fs but it is a
problem (and has a patch)

The second one the elevator is clearly trying to sort out but its
behaving as if someone is writing the file starting at say 0 and someone
else is trying to write it back starting some large distance further down
the file. The elevator can only do so much then.

> Yeah, I could see that doing it. How big is the image, and out of
> curiosity, can you run the fsync-tester.c program I posted while

150MB+ for the pnm files from gimp used as temporaries by Eve (Etch
Validation Engine), more like 10MB for xcf/tif files.

> saving the gimp image, and tell me how much of a delay you end up
> seeing?

Added to the TODO list once I can set up a suitable test box (my new dev
box is somewhere between Dell and my desk right now)

> More testing would be appreciated --- and yeah, we need to groom the
> bugzilla.

I'm currently doing this on a large scale (closed about 300 so far this
run). Bug 8147 might be worth a look as its a case where the jbd locking
and the jbd comments seem to disagree (the comments say you must hold a
lock but we don't seem to)