Re: Linux 2.6.29-rc6

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sun Mar 15 2009 - 14:13:34 EST

On Sun, 15 Mar 2009, Jesper Krogh wrote:
> Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > Regardless of whether is succeeds or not, it will print out some debug
> > messages, which will be interesting to see.
>

> [ 0.000000] Fast TSC delta=34227730, error=6223+6219=12442
> [ 0.000000] Fast TSC calibration using PIT
> [ 0.000000] Detected 2312.045 MHz processor.

Ok. This claims that the error really is smaller than 500ppm (it's about
360 ppm). Which is about what we're aiming for (in real life, the actual
error is about half that - we're just adding up the error terms for
maximum theoretical error).

> Using "ntpq -c peers" .. the offset steadily grows as time goes.
>
> Full dmesg: http://krogh.cc/~jesper/dmesg-linux-2.6.29-rc8-linus1.txt
>
> jk@quad11:~$ ntpdc -c kerninfo
> pll offset: 0.085167 s
> pll frequency: -18.722 ppm
> maximum error: 0.137231 s
> estimated error: 0.008823 s
> status: 0001 pll
> pll time constant: 6
> precision: 1e-06 s
> frequency tolerance: 500 ppm

Hmm. But now it all seems to _work_, no? Or do you still get time resets?
Now your "pll frequency" and "estimated error" are real values, not just
"0s" like in your previous failure cases.

Of course, maybe that happens only after the time reset actually kicks in.

But one thing my patch did - apart from the error estimation - was to
synchronize the TSC read with the actual PIT MSB wrap event. Maybe that
mattered.

The other possibility (if the time reset actually happens) is that your
PIT is simply not running at the expected frequency. That would be really
quite odd, since that nominal 1193181.8181 Hz frequency is very standard,
and has been around foreve.

I do not know how to test that. We need a reference timer to sync to, and
the PIT has traditionally been a _lot_ more reliable than the other timers
in the system (the PM timer may be reliable on modern machines, but almost
certainly not on anything a few years old).

Linus