Re: New ASUS 1701 bios for M2N SLI DELUXE

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Sat Mar 14 2009 - 00:40:53 EST

On Saturday 14 March 2009, Yinghai Lu wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 7:32 PM, Robert Hancock <hancockrwd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> Hi Robin, David and lkml list;
>>>
>>> I said I would report.
>>>
>>> I just reinstalled the 1502 version bios after spending the last 2 days
>>> trying to get an hours worth of uptime without an oops.  Gave up.
[...]
>> That's not an oops, it's a warning. Those do normally taint the kernel. I
>> don't think this should really be a WARN, IMHO, as it's a BIOS bug and not
>> the kernel's fault, and it's fixed up the problem. CCing Yinghai Lu, which
>> it looks like wrote this warning.
>
>need to tone down the warning?

Yes, please & thank you. And maybe look at the tests that determine its bad
and has to be fixed. IMO, something fubar in the later bios versions is
getting by that test. Results are extremely unstable with either the 1604beta
or 1701 versions of that bios. 1502 does trigger the fix, and the fix is pure
gold.

>>> So based on that, I'll now go build a 2.6.29-rc8 and see how that runs.
>>>
>>> The biggest problem with the 2.6.29 series is that apparently, for
>>> security reasons, they are now doing a PHY disable in a graceful
>>> shutdown, which none of the previous kernels knows how to re-enable.
>>>
>>> So to reboot to the 2.6.28.7 stable, you have to use the front panel
>>> reset button to reboot or you will not have any onboard ethernet until
>>> you do a full, pull ALL the power plugs for at least 30 seconds (I go
>>> make a cup of tea, about 3 minutes) to reset the PHY's back to
>>> operational status. TBT, the reset button is easier.
>>>
>>> Frankly, that seems like a thoroughly busted security idea, but I suppose
>>> we're stuck with it.
>>
>> I doubt it's for security reasons. Could be due to power management or
>> suspend/resume changes?
>
>what is nic? could be put in D3 somehow.
>
>YH

The nic's (2 of them) are in the motherboards MCP55 chipset according to what
I have been told.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)