Re: [patch 02/11] x86 architecture implementation of HardwareBreakpoint interfaces

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Fri Mar 13 2009 - 23:47:21 EST

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 14:10 +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> Kernel gets debug registers in db4..db3..db2..db1 order, and its
> allocation is essentially hardcoded - i.e. we dont try to be
> fancy.
>
> User-space (gdb) on the other hand will try to allocate in the
> db1..db2..db3..db4 order.
>
> Maintain a 'max debug register index' value driven by ptrace and
> maintain a 'min debug register index' driven by kernel-space
> hw-breakpoint allocations.

A few added details from the perspective of powerpc ...

breakpoints and watchpoints are separate resources with different
capacity depending on the chip, so far nothing fancy.

We also have the ability to do range breakpoints/watchpoints on some
processors by using pairs of registers, which adds some constraints to
the allocation.

We also have a value compare capability for watchpoint, but this can
also have a different capacity limitation from either the breakpoints
and the watchpoints themselves.

Cheers,
Ben.