Re: Asking for inclusion of nilfs2 in the mainline kernel

From: Ryusuke Konishi
Date: Fri Mar 13 2009 - 06:05:33 EST

Hi!
On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:05:53 +0100, Alex Riesen wrote:
> 2009/3/10 Ryusuke Konishi <konishi.ryusuke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >
> > # mount -t nilfs2 -r -o cp=33339 /dev/sdb1 /snap
> > (mount the snapshot, then it will become accessible on the mount=
point)

> Is it possible to mount a snapshot rw to make it a branch?

No, the writable snapshot is not supported.
( So, a readonly option appears in the example. )

Maybe the current design is unfit for efficient branching because
nilfs identifies checkpoints with linear numbers and manages lifetime
of each on-disk block with a range of the numbers.

We might be able to add a feature like replacing the latest filesystem
state with a past snapshot, but it's not yet determined.

Cheers,
Ryusuke