Re: [PULL] x86 cpumask work

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Mar 12 2009 - 20:58:19 EST

* Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thursday 12 March 2009 21:07:33 Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > * Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > hm, how much testing did this tree get? It crashes fast and hard
> > in -tip testing:
>
> Missing a core patch (it even got a compile warning with that
> config).

Unfortunately i cannot (yet) escallate compile warnings into
build failures automatically due to still-widespread upstream
ignorance wrt. how to treat the problem of compiler warnings.

People have allowed the kernel to become a panopticum of weird
bogus GCC warnings and use that cloaka of hall of shame of
dozens of false positive warnings as an excuse to not annotate
warnings. Doing that ignores the thousands and thousands of
correct warnings that were seen and where code got fixed for
good - where the compiler saved us from worse.

This stupid, self-defeating behavior of intentionally letting
false-positive compiler warnings around has been going on for a
decade. It adds an avoidable constant to the cost of Linux
development (like here) and it takes time to unwind.

So it's manual work and sometimes i notice them amongst a
boatload of other warnings, sometimes i dont.

> But there's something else wrong. Firing up my 64-bit test
> box now.

Great - so you can reproduce. Thanks,

Ingo