Re: Off-by-one in both LIBATA and IDE drivers

From: Mark Lord
Date: Thu Mar 12 2009 - 10:31:04 EST

Norman Diamond wrote:
Jim Paris wrote:
Norman Diamond wrote:

It looks like both LIBATA and the old IDE drivers have an off-by-one error in deciding whether to use READ SECTOR(S) instead of READ SECTOR(S) EXT.

This was fixed here:
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commit;h=97b697a11b07e2ebfa69c488132596cc5eb24119

I'm still having trouble after applying the same patch to 2.6.24.3 (applying it three times in order to build Slax). But now I wonder if it's no longer the fault of drivers.

Does hdparm construct its own taskfiles for ATA and SATA in order to produce an error trying to read sector number 0x0fffffff even after I patched the kernel?
..

What, *exactly*, do you mean there.
Yes, hdparm constructs its own taskfiles for the --read-sector subcommand.
Are you hitting these errors with the latest hdparm (9.12)?

???