Re: Linux* Processor Microcode Data File

From: Giacomo A. Catenazzi
Date: Thu Mar 12 2009 - 06:03:32 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 15:34:50 +0000
Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Mar 09, 2009 at 08:11:09AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Mon, 9 Mar 2009 14:16:55 +0000
Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The kernel doesn't load microcode automatically
it does if you have the right format; the kernel uses
request_firmware() for this.
The microcode on the intel website is not ready for this yet, but
we're working hard to have future drops to be in the new format.
Wow so I was redundant AND wrong in the same email!

What motivated the switch to the generic request_firmware interface?
Is it just less messy/faster than previous methods?

there are various cases where microcode is needed (for example, when
you hotplug a new cpu); request_firmware() is just the right way to do
such things, and an initscript is just the wrong way

I don't agree ;-)
I agree that request_firmware method is better than init.d scripts, but
not that it is the right things. microcodes should be loaded at very
beginning of boot process, so by BIOS, by GRUB or on hotpug event by
request_firmware.
BTW: why do we have microcode loading modular?

Offtopic: IMHO if we could move the load of firmware before booting
linux, it would be nicer and cleaner (by open source point of view).

ciao
cate