Re: [2.6.29-rc5][BUG] swapon on vfat file gets stuck on inode lock

From: Laurent GUERBY
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 12:52:53 EST

On Wed, 2009-03-11 at 08:53 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Mar 2009, Laurent GUERBY wrote:
> > With 2.6.29-rc5 (on an ARM platform but I don't think it's significant)
> > when I try to enable swap on a file which is on an USB mounted vfat
> > partition the swapon syscall gets stuck:
>
> Oh wow. Are you _sure_ you want to do that? That's crazy.

I was testing a device with no swap (root over NFS) and GCC bootstrap
failed because of lack of RAM. So I first tried to add swap on file over
NFS, judging from various warnings on the net and that the system froze
after about 4 hours it was in the "crazy" category. After that I grabbed
an USB HDD which happened to be vfat formated, hence second freeze but
on swapon process this time.

I promise next time I'll stick to local ext3 on x86 :).

Laurent