Re: Memory usage per memory zone

From: jack marrow
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 07:51:47 EST

2009/3/11 Wu Fengguang <fengguang.wu@xxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi jack,
>
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 11:41:43AM +0100, jack marrow wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a box where the oom-killer is killing processes due to running
>> out of memory in zone_normal. I can see using slabtop that the inode
>
> How do you know that the memory pressure on zone normal stand out alone?

For the normal zone only, I see "all_unreclaimable: yes" and 3 megs of free ram:

kernel: Normal free:2576kB min:3728kB low:7456kB high:11184kB
active:1304kB inactive:128kB present:901120kB pages_scanned:168951
all_unreclaimable? yes

>> caches are using up lots of memory and guess this is the problem, so
>> have cleared them using an echo to drop_caches.
>
> It would better be backed by concrete numbers...
>

>> I would quite like to not guess though - is it possible to use slabtop
>> (or any other way) to view ram usage per zone so I can pick out the
>> culprit?
>
> /proc/zoneinfo and /proc/vmstat do have some per-zone numbers.
> Some of them deal with slabs.

Thanks, I'll read up on how to interpret these.

Do you recommend these two files for tracking down memory usage per
process per zone?

Thanks.