Re: Off-by-one in both LIBATA and IDE drivers

From: Norman Diamond
Date: Wed Mar 11 2009 - 04:38:59 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
> Norman Diamond <n0diamond@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> It looks like both LIBATA and the old IDE drivers
>> have an off-by-one error in deciding whether to use
>> READ SECTOR(S) instead of READ SECTOR(S) EXT.
>
> This was fixed some time ago, you need a newer
> kernel.

Well, either that or I need an older kernel. It was also
fixed in 2.6.20, for which I think there was a ready-made
Slax distribution.

On another topic, trying 2.6.20 in whatever Slax
distribution it was, an Intel ICH7M had DMA enabled on
both /dev/hda and /dev/hdc. I understand that the change
which was made shortly after that is considered to be by
design not a bug. In 2.6.20 I didn't even have to type a
"combined_mode" parameter, it just worked. I understand
that the addition and subsequent deletion of the
"combined_mode" parameter are considered to be by design
not bugs. But it is not at all pleasant that my /dev/hda
runs at 1.3 megabytes per second in 2.6.24.3 and later,
when it used to run at 45 megabytes per second in 2.6.20.
Yeah I know libata is supposed to solve all this stuff.
Removed some bugs and added others.

I can't go newer than 2.6.24.3 until I find a version
where TASKFILEs start working again. There might not be
one. Yeah I know libata is supposed to solve all this
stuff. I wonder how much time I'll need and how many
varieties of hardware I'll have to buy to see if it's
really fixed.